News & Events
Free French flag donated to the museum
A Tangmere resident, Philippe Arent, has donated to the Museum a Free French flag in memory of his father Claude who on the night before D-Day was parachuted into the beachhead with the American 101st Airborne forces to act as a translator. Unfortunately, he was wounded in the fighting that followed and was evacuated from Utah beach back to the UK with shrapnel injuries and burns to his arms. After recovering, he became a French Colonel’s ADC in Camberley, Surrey and there met his future English wife Kitty. The war ended with Claude in Paris, following which he married and with his new wife lived for five years back in his native NE France. In the early 1950s, the couple decided to come back to England and settled in Reading where Claude worked in the operating theatres of the Royal Berkshire Hospital.
But, how did Claude join the Free French forces? When the German Army overran France at the beginning of the war he was still studying at school but was soon deported, at the age of 16, to Germany to work on constructing military airfields. He was later sent to Italy to work on the Monte Cassino fortifications but managed to escape to the American lines from which he was put on a troop ship to Liverpool where he experienced for the first time the luxury of doughnuts and American coffee. On reaching England his story was checked, part of the process being to use SOE agents to check back in France the details he had given. Prior to D-Day, he joined the Free French and was trained as a paratrooper.
The photographs are of Claude during the war and his son Philippe presenting the flag to Alan Bower, the Museum’s Director.
The Museum’s AGM held on Thursday, 27th April was attended by some 30 members of the Trust Company. Having served as a Trustee for…
On 22 April the Museum hosted 60 Dutch and Canadian students on the 2017 Frank Graham liberation cycle tour. This year’s tour theme is…
A new book entitled ‘Tangmere’s Own: Pilots who served King and Country from a Sussex airfield, 1918-1958’ has recently been published by the Museum….