After several years of successful operation, Tangmere’s very popular Lightning flight simulator is undergoing a system upgrade. In addition to updated software and improved graphics, the opportunity will be taken to fit real Lightning cockpit instruments in place of the current computer-generated ones and a multi-screen visual system.
Using a temporary computer-generated cockpit instrument display and single projector-based visual system, the Lightning simulator is once again available for use by museum visitors.
Please note that whilst the museum makes every effort to ensure the simulator is available for use by visitors, this availability cannot be guaranteed for any particular day or time and is subject to the requirements of the re-engineering team, the serviceability state of the simulator and museum staffing.
From time to time it may be necessary to withdraw the simulator from service at very short notice to facilitate work on the system upgrade. If you are coming to the museum especially to fly the Lightning, you are strongly advised to telephone the reception desk on 01243 790090 after 10 am on the day of your visit to check the expected availability of the simulator.
Lightning Simulator Terms and Conditions of Use:
- The simulator is available for ADULTS only.
- The simulator must be serviceable.
- A trained member of staff must be available to supervise the ‘flight’.
- Visitors must be able to enter and egress the cockpit without assistance. Egress requires a degree of upper body strength.
- Normal ‘flight’ duration is 15 minutes and pre-booked time slots are used.
- There is no additional charge to ‘fly’ the simulator but donations to assist in its maintenance are welcome.
TO ARRANGE A SIMULATOR ‘FLIGHT’ ADULT MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC SHOULD BOOK THEIR 15-MINUTE TIME SLOT WITH RECEPTION ON THE DAY. PLEASE NOTE THAT ADVANCE TELEPHONE BOOKINGS TO FLY THE SIMULATOR WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY THE MUSEUM.