Formally opened by Air Chief Marshal Sir William Wratten GBE CB AFC FRAeS CIMgt on Thursday, 22nd July 2010, Tangmere’s Lightning simulator was developed and constructed by a small project team of Museum volunteers.
Based on the restored of a shell and associated parts of a RAF Lightning procedures trainer, kindly donated to the Museum by No 1268 (Haslemere) Squadron, Air Training Corps, the original flying controls have been integrated with a modern computer and software system whilst the ‘outside world’ is projected on to a wall to reproduce as realistic a Lightning flying experience as possible.
The Lightning simulator is available at no additional cost to all adult visitors – please see the ‘Lightning Simulator Terms and Conditions of Use’ section, below.
Please note that whilst the museum makes every effort to ensure the simulator is available for use by visitors, this availability cannot be guaranteed for any particular day or time and is subject to the requirements of the engineering team, the serviceability state of the simulator and museum staffing.
From time to time it may be necessary to withdraw the simulator from service at very short notice to facilitate work on the system. If you are coming to the museum especially to fly the Lightning, you are strongly advised to telephone the reception desk on 01243 790090 after 10 am on the day of your visit to check the expected availability of the simulator.
Lightning Simulator Terms and Conditions of Use:
- The simulator is available for ADULTS only.
- The simulator must be serviceable.
- A trained member of staff must be available to supervise the ‘flight’.
- Visitors must be able to enter and egress the cockpit without assistance. Egress requires a degree of upper body strength.
- Normal ‘flight’ duration is 15 minutes and pre-booked time slots are used.
- There is no additional charge to ‘fly’ the simulator but donations to assist in its maintenance are welcome.
TO ARRANGE A SIMULATOR ‘FLIGHT’ ADULT MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC SHOULD BOOK THEIR 15-MINUTE TIME SLOT WITH RECEPTION ON THE DAY. PLEASE NOTE THAT ADVANCE TELEPHONE BOOKINGS TO FLY THE SIMULATOR WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED BY THE MUSEUM.