Tangmere Military Aviation Museum was born when a group of like-minded enthusiasts met to discuss ways of keeping the memory of RAF Tangmere alive. In 1981, West Sussex County Council donated a large SECO hut to the group and in June 1982, following much hard endeavour, the embryo Museum opened its doors to visitors. We have grown considerably since then to exhibit a vast number of artefacts.
Staffed entirely by volunteers, our mission statement can be described thus:
The Museum exists to promote awareness of the United Kingdom’s military aviation heritage and to educate present and future generations in military aviation by:
- Exhibiting the history of aircraft and personnel involved in military aviation with particular reference to RAF Tangmere and its unique place in that history.
- Serving as a memorial to those allied airmen and airwomen who gave their lives in the service of this country.
In 1987, the Museum became a Charitable Trust and Limited Company. As such, its full title is the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum Trust Ltd and it is governed by Memorandum and Articles of Association.
The Museum’s governing body is the Trust Council, comprising 9 elected Trustees who, in effect, constitute the Company’s Board of Directors. The Council is responsible for all matters of policy, including the allocation of departmental budgets. Day to day operations are delegated to the Museum’s Director who oversees a Management Team comprising the following areas of responsibility: Curatorial, Maintenance, Engineering, Publicity, Personnel, and Events Planning. The cafeteria (operated via franchise) and shop (Museum Trading Company) respond directly to the Trust Council.
- Patron: The Duke of Richmond and Gordon
- Hon President: Air Marshal Sir Graham Miller KBE
- Hon Life Vice-President: Mr Alan Bower
- Hon Life Vice-President: Mr Duncan Simpson OBE CEng FIMechE FRAeS
Council of Trustees
- Group Captain David Baron OBE (Chairman)
- Mr David Burleigh MBE
- Dr Reginald Byron
- Mr David Coxon
- Mr Dudley Hooley
- Mr Peter Lee
- Mr Len Outridge
- Mr Bill Walker
- Mrs Joyce Warren
Officers of the Company
- Hon Treasurer: Mr Ken Shepherd
- Hon Secretary: Mrs Joyce Warren
- Director: Mr Dudley Hooley
- Curator: Mr David Coxon
- General Manager & Head of Maintenance: Mr Peter Lee
- Chief Engineer: Mr Reg Lambird
- Publicity Manager: Mrs Pam Marsden
- Personnel Manager: Mr Len Outridge
- Events Manager: Mr Jason Riches
- Treasurer: Mr Ken Shepherd
- Mrs Sheila Shepherd
Charity Commission Reg No: 299327.
Company No: 2206865.